Thursday, March 4, 2010

Social Sin Network

During this Lenten season, I have found myself reflecting about mortal sins I never realized I've committed and the affect it has.  I learned that sin has an affect in five ways:

1) Theological - we separate ourselves from God
2) Personal - it affects who we are physically, emotionally, mentally
3) Social - our sins hurt others, we affect others
4) Ecclesial - our sins affect the Church, essentially the Body of Christ.  Our sins weaken the Church
5) Cosmic - affects of our sins can affect our surrounding environment

"The devil made me do it" is the Adam and Eve excuse that we can't fall back on.  We made ourselves do it.  The devil can play tricks on us and feed us lies, but in the end, he'll never make us do something we don't want to do.  He's a tempter, but we are the actor.  Sin is the moment we "miss the mark" as Christopher West explains. It's the moment we chose to separate ourselves from God to please ourselves rather than Him.

I'm sorry for the sins I have committed against you, brothers and sisters.  I say this at mass daily - but I just wanted to put it in writing.

Happy Lent!

No comments:

Post a Comment