Wednesday, February 25, 2015

change

I'm not one to usually take photos during adoration, but I wanted to capture this moment as the clock struck midnight the day I turned 33.  I wanted to spend my first few minutes of my birthday with Jesus.  I wanted to remind myself that Jesus is always present and available 24/7!

Everyone hypes up the "Jesus" year.  For some, it comes as a warning for a "trying" year; a year of sacrifice and change.  I will embrace that because if Jesus changed death into life, I can only pray the same happens for me.  I pray this year I find things I need to let "die" so I may fully live.

This Lenten season has challenged me to seek deeper into finding those things I need to change in my life.  That's what time in the dessert is about, right?  Slowly but surely I feel the burn.  That's what they say when you work out and your body changes.

In the spiritual sense, it hurts to give up things that you really want.  However, if giving things up means making room for holiness, then let's do it.  I pray that the few sacrifices I'm making during this Lent doesn't end in a binge fest on Easter.  Rather, I pray it teaches me the virtue of Chastity.  That's a long term prayer of mine that is being answered.  Over the years, and especially more so in the past few months, I've come to understand this virtue beyond it's association for all things "sexual".  Chastity means self-control.  This takes discipline and leads to change.  More importantly it leads to freedom.  All things I need in my life.

FYI
Chastity includes an apprenticeship in self-mastery which is a training in human freedom. The alternative is clear: either man governs his passions and finds peace, or he lets himself be dominated by them and becomes unhappy. (CCC, #2339) - Cathechism of the Catholic Church

I asked, "Lord, what more can I do?  I am already giving You so much."

He said, "Give Me more.  Love me more."

I pray I find ways to love Him more...not only this year or this Lenten season, but for years to come.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday dear friend!! I love your faithfulness and courage!! Blessings to you this birthday and Lent. Wish we lived closer.. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday and God bless!

    ReplyDelete