Sunday, September 14, 2014

da bears

9.14.14

Today was a good day.  28-20 and I'll leave it at that.

The point of today's blog is the camaraderie between strangers that are rooting for the same team.   The reasons we all have our favorite team is different for each individual.  A lot of it comes from the city we grew up in, our favorite players, or the city we currently live in.  This photo describes it perfectly - I don't know the guy giving me the bunny ears or the lady with the painted face.  Even if outnumbered, there is comfort in numbers.  I may not know you, but if I see you in a Chicago shirt, carrying the city flag, or rocking a Bears jersey, I'll high five you.  I'll give you a "hey we're on the same team" smile and yell out "Da Bears!".  You will respond with "Bear down!"  and we'll just "woohoo" as we walk away from each other.  That's special.  I don't know you, I'll likely never see you again, but we are on the same team.

C'mon, Catholics, can't we unite the same way?  Other than Christmas and Easter, I want to be able to walk down a street, recognize we share the same faith, and yell "Yo, happy Solemnity, dude!" or "Happy Feast of St. etc etc etc!" and we'd smile, acknowledge each other, and go about our merry way.  Dream to come true maybe?  Anyway this works better when we live in a world with less booing and more cheers.  Many of us are on the same team yet we don't recognize it.  I know I shouldn't compare sports bonding with spiritual bonding, but do you feel me?  There's something we can work off of here.  I'm not saying everyone has to rock a jersey with "Team Jesus" or their favorite saint on the back....but hey...that's kind of cool.  I rock my Urlacher jersey every game, so I should be just as proud with my Catholic gear every day.  Hmmm....something to pray more about.

What's #30daysofmystagogia?  You can refer back to my blog on "About Time" to understand the meaning behind this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment