Tuesday, September 9, 2014

nine

This isn't 100% in mystagogia form, but I'd like to share my reflection for the day.  Today is a national holiday for my eight girlfriends and me.  9/9 is Mamas' Day.  I won't get into the details of how this came to be, but for the NINE of us, it works ;)

As I stretched in Bar Method, I was looking at the ink on my leg.  This tattoo was done in September 2008 and six years later, I love it more than the first day.  The Japanese cherry blossom is symbolic to beauty and fragility of life.  There is always a spring and more blossoms - cheers to new beginnings!  The nine stars around the flower represent the eight girlfriends I hold close to my heart (+ me = nine).  Everyone always asks, "Well what happens if you guys have a falling out?"  Here's the deal: we've all gone through a LOT together.  Sometimes it comes to a point where we wonder if there WILL be a falling out.  But you know what?  At the end of the day, we still come back together.  This is what family is all about.  It's putting aside the differences, stopping the bull, and growing a real friendship from the crap we go through together.  Yes, we fight like all sisters do.  But we argue with each other because we love each other that much.  We look out for one another.  We pray for each other.  We all have our own lives, our other friends, but we always come back together like headquarters.  It's funny because I can't tell you every single girl's favorite food or what they like to watch on TV - but for some reason, it still works.  We get each other.  It's hard to explain but I can best describe it like the Sons of Anarchy MC hahahahaha....YES I had to throw that in there.  (FYI, MC = Motorcycle Club.)  This is why I like shows that portray friendship/brotherhood/sisterhood.  I can relate because that kind of bond is important to me.

Tonight was the Sons of Anarchy Season 7 premiere.  Maybe I'm still on an SOA high from the weekend, but Kurt Sutter's speech before the LA Premiere screening hit me.  I'm paraphrasing and doing no justice to this, but Sutter talked about how he grew up with mostly women.  He didn't have an old man figure in his life.  He found brothers in The Shield.  He found brothers with the Sons.  He found a brother in Charlie Hunnam.  At the end of his choked up speech he told Charlie he'd take a bullet for him.  (This is also when I saw Charlie wipe some tears from his eyes...awww...)  Anyway, that kind of bond can't be broken.  That brotherhood is real.  My sisterhood is real.

This is why when I got the tattoo, I knew I wouldn't regret my decision.  It reminds me that 1) there's always a new day tomorrow and 2) I have people looking out for me.  Yes, the eight other stars represent the other mamas, but it reminds me that, in general, I have a good amount of brothers and sisters that got my back.  I have this extended family in Christ that prays for me.  I'm grateful every day for the friendships I make.  I am more grateful each day when that relationship flourishes and friends then become family.

Who knows what will happen in the next six years.  Some may think we'll break up like a boy band.  If you ask me, honestly I think we will grow as more of us get married and have children.  The family will not only consist of the Mamas, but we'll have the Papas and babies as well.

What's #30daysofmystagogia?  You can refer back to my blog on "About Time" to understand the meaning behind this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment